Lentil Dumplings (Dahi Bhalle) is a popular street Food in India. Its a tasty treat for every age and healthy food. I have many childhood memories related to Indian street food. New North India its named as "Chaat", a treat colorful spicy treat! Dahi Bhalla is treetaed is king of "Chaat" :)
- Urad Daal/White Lentil (1 Cup) (Soaked 4-5 hours)
- Salt (preferably Rock Salt, you can use table salt if not available), to taste
- Green Chili , 2
- Ginger , 1 inch piece.
- Oil for Deep Frying
For Yogurt Sauce:
- Well beaten plain Yogurt (1 Cup) , Use Vegan Yogurt , or skip Yogurt for Vegan Version
- Rock Salt
- Powdered roasted cumin
- Chaat Masala (Skip for GF version)
- Red Chilli Powder
- Green sauce (Mint & Coriander Sauce)
- Tamrind Sauce (Skip for GF version)
- Grind Lentil with very less water, add chili, salt and Ginger to grinder and grind one more time.
- Deep fry Dumplings by adding the lentil mixture in a wok and take out when dumplings turn brown in a paper towel.
- Make all dumplings in batches of 5-6 at one time.
- Boil water in a seperate vessel and add some salt to it, switch off the burner.
- drop fried dumplings in boiled water and cover and let sit for at least 30 min.
- Now squeeze water out of dumplings, place 4-5 dumplings in a bowl.
- Top with 3-4 tbsp yougurt, add sauces per taste.
- Sprinkle chaat masala, cumin poder, chilli powder, salt and serve immediately.